The highs and lows of the past year.
My nephew Jack was born!
My family and friends are healthy
My dogs get sweeter by the day
I took a risk and started following my dreams
I learned how to reach out to others for help
I’ve been feeling better after cleaning up my diet
My writing group is still going strong
I’ve started writing a children’s book series to be published next fall
I’m still madly in love with my husband
I started a meditation practice
Last year around this time I felt pretty sick and had to have some outpatient procedures
Root canal, ugh.
My nana was sick for a while (but she’s better now!)
Stress and anxiety were a big part of this year
I wasn’t always as diligent with exercise as I’d like to be
I’ve gotten pretty far behind, but that doesn’t mean I can’t catch up! Expect a barrage of posts over the next few days!
Your views on mainstream music.
I’m a fan of music, in general. In college I worked at a record store and there was definitely some judgement about the kinds of music people liked, but we also played what we knew would sell. I expanded my musical interests a lot during that time. I started out think I was pretty much a punk rock girl, but I left realizing how much I admired the talent and perseverance of all musicians. Now my musical tastes range from top 40 to jazz to Cuban to electronica. I like the feeling of being in the moment with the music I’m listening to.
15 interesting facts about yourself
Blah. This might be a struggle.
1. I didn’t have any pets growing up, but now I have two dogs who I lovelovelove.
2. My first date with my husband was to see Fantasia 2000.
3. I am starting a daily meditation practice and it is very difficult to quiet my mind.
4. I eat a mostly “real foods” diet.
5. My nephew, Jack, is adorable. I wish I was with him everyday.
6. Even though I work from home, we have a dog walker.
7. I love Pilates. I gave up a 15 year yoga practice after I got on a reformer for the first time.
8. I read anywhere between 75 and 100 books a year.
9. When I was a teacher in Los Angeles, I had the same class of kids for three years- 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. They’ll be juniors in high school this year.
10. I have 4 completely drafted manuscripts on my computer. Someday I’ll revise!
11. I worry more than I should.
12. When all those books about introverts were popular a few years ago, I finally felt like I understood myself
13. I like to get rid of “stuff.” I rarely hang onto things just because they have sentimental value.
14. I don’t like to nap.
15. I won a writing award in Kindergarten. I feel like that allows me to include “award-winning writer” in my author bios.
Your earliest memory
This is a tough one because so often I think I remember something, but I’m really just recalling an old photo and putting my own narrative around it. One early memory I have is of sitting in circle on the rug when I was in Kindergarten. My teacher, Mrs. Burbank, would tell us to close our eyes. When we did an inflatable superhero letter person would appear in the middle of the circle. There was always a big ceremony around introducing the new letter and sound for the week. It was very exciting to see all the letter people flying around the ceiling by the windows. It’s such a great memory, especially since school held so much wonder and possibility. Learning was fun and motivating.
Somewhere you’d like to move or visit
There are so many beautiful places on this Earth and I’ve traveled to so few. One place I’d love to visit is Sweden. I love Nordic crime novels, mostly for their setting details. There is something so peaceful, easy-going, and natural about Sweden. I’m not sure I’d like the food or the long, cold, dark of winter, but I’d still like to visit.
Bullet your whole day
-phone call about possible job
-read in bed
Shuffle your iPod and list the first 10 songs that play.
I like this one! Here’s the queue from my Google play account. I only listen to audio books on my iPod, so that wouldn’t be as fun.
1. Some Nights by Fun.
2. The Calculation by Regina Spektor
3. Hold on, Hold on by Neko Case
4. Just a Girl by No Doubt
5. Someone’s Daughter by Beth Orton
6. Tu Boca by Shakira
7. Easy Way Out by Elliott Smith
8. We Never Change by Coldplay
9. I’ll Remember by Madonna
10. Grillz by Nelly